Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Move From Rutland to Columbus

When me made the moved from Rutland, Meigs Co. to Columbus we moved into an apartment. Mother told me we moved into a small upstairs apartment on the OSU poultry farm. Maybe there wasn’t room for all the furniture another things they sold. Certainly no room for cows.

I do NOT remember living this apartment at all. Remember I told you I was barely one year old. I know where the apartment was located and remember the building from later in my childhood but I do not remember living there. She said it was mainly two rooms; a kitchen with an eating area and the living room was also the bedroom area for all three of us. Nope, don’t remember that either!

She also said Uncle Owen, that was Daddy’s brother, stayed with us for a while too while he was going to OSU. She told me today she sure doesn’t remember where they put him. Tee Hee, maybe in a closet. Did we have a closet, I am sure we must have but, I don’t remember.

At some time, Mother isn’t even sure when, we moved from the 2 room upstairs apartment to another apartment. It was located at the end of a long building that housed chickens. Did I say we lived on the poultry farm at OSU? Well, if not that’s were we lived, at least for the 8 years. Daddy was the farm manager for the Poultry Farm at OSU. The first apartment they lived in was at the other end of the long chicken building. So we didn’t move far. Mother says moved before Jerry was born, if I don’t remember Jerry’s as a baby I’m sure not going to remember the move. I don’t remember anything about him being a baby. I remember him being a bother but that was when he was much older. Where was he born, not at home like I was? Something else I need to ask about.

I can described this second apartment from memory but that must be because we lived there for several years before moving to the Hess house on Olentangy River Rd., where the Fawcett Center is now located at OSU.

This apartment was upstairs too. Oh, boy I remember climbing up all those stairs. Plus there were a bunch of stairs to a porch area where you entered the building. Then you had to go up more stairs to get to the apartment.

Once upstairs you entered into the living room it was a very nice size room. You turned left out of the living room and went down a LONG hallway to the kitchen, bathroom and my parent’s bedroom at the end of the hall. On each side of the long hallway were two huge rooms. One was made into a dorm style room where Jerry and I spelt, it was our playroom as well. There had to have been room for 10 kids in that room it was so big. The other one was a huge room for storage. All the rooms were very large especially the room where Jerry and I slept.

When did I have the measles? How old was I? I remember I had to stay in my bedroom and Mother had all the drapes/blinds or whatever closed. I wasn’t allowed to leave the room and had to stay in the dark.

I remember my cousins coming to visit from Meigs Co. and we all would sleep in my room some of us on the floor. I remember that being especially fun. I had lots and lots of cousins, but of course they all didn't visit at the same time. Only three of my 47 cousins lived close most all of them lived in Meigs Co. Ohio with the exception of six who lived in Buffalo, NY.

Even though I don't remember this move I am sure of one thing even if I don't remember it. My grandmother standing in the driveway with one of her many aprons on and a hankerchief in hand crying as we pulled from the driveway.

I know how she must have felt, I get teary eyed each and everytime one of my grandchildren leave here no matter how long or short the visit was. I try hard not to let them see as I know how it made me feel as a child. When I was older I remember this happening each and everytime we left after a visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment